Engage: Keep Moving Ahead
‘For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.’ Heb 4:12
Do you want to create structure for your Bible study? Do you want to share your insights with others? Do you want to keep maturing your skills? Keep moving ahead by engaging in regular reading, group studies, and using other tools to continue your Bible journey. Engaging the Bible is fulfilling.
Explore questions like:
- How can I structure my daily reading of the Bible?
- What methods and techniques will enhance my Bible reading?
- What steps should I take to study an entire book of the Bible?
- How can I study a segment of the story of salvation covered in more than one book?
- How can I study theological topics like, angels, sin, or end times?
How to keep moving ahead
SOTH provides many opportunities to continue your Biblical journey. We are excited to offer new small group Bible studies and are working on developing new large group studies offered between our Sunday morning services. As always, members are welcome to join existing small group studies. In addition, we encourage all members to regularly read their Bibles and develop a reading plan.
Small Groups/Bible Study topic options
- Navigator ‘Design for Discipleship’ series:
- Reading the Bible in one-year
- See sample plans in the church Resource Library
- Use GroupMe to read with others (see below)
- Simple Christianity – 5-part course on the Gospel of Luke: https://www.matthiasmedia.com.au/simply-christianity-guests-manual
Small Groups/Bible Studies
- GroupMe App
- Free group messaging to discuss Bible study topics – a private chat room for your small group with unlimited users, and it’s always free. Available on every device: https://groupme.com/en-US/
Read Your Bible Plans
- Bible Study Tools Plans: https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-reading-plan/
- YouVersion Plans:
- Navigator Plans: https://www.navigators.org/resource/bible-reading-plans/
- FaithLife Bible Study Magazine: http://www.biblestudymagazine.com/
- Discovery House Bible Atlas, by John A. Beck
- How to Read the Bible for All it Worth, by Gordon D. Fee & Douglas Stuart
- The Baker Book of Bible Charts, Maps, and Time Lines, by John A. Beck
- The Baker Illustrated Guide to Everyday Life in Bible Times, by John A. Beck
- The Baker Illustrated Bible Handbook, by Daniel J.Hays & J. Scott Duvall
- The Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary,by Tremper Longman III
- A Visual Theology Guide to the Bible: Seeing and Knowing God’s Word, by Tim Challies/Josh Byers
Electronic Bible Study Software
- Logos: https://www.logos.com/
- The Text This Week: http://textweek.com/
- Olive Tree: https://www.olivetree.com/
- Understand Your Bible’ book app – by John A. Beck: https://www.olivetree.com/store/product.php?productid=38094
Online Video Series, YouTube Series, and DVD Sets
- Our Daily Bread Christian University: https://christianuniversity.org/
- Our Daily Bread DVDs for purchase: https://ourdailybreadpublishing.org/cds-dvds/dvds/our-daily-bread-films.html
- Our Daily Bread’s ‘The Holy Land: Connecting the Land with Its Stories’ Youtube series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPOUA7GLxXIGkhikntfiT4ida1lKbSNNB
- The Balanced Discipleship Pathway (for purchase):
- Discover the Word:
- Logos: https://www.scriptureuncovered.com/
- The Bible Project: https://thebibleproject.com/podcasts/the-bible-project-podcast/
- Precepts for Life: https://player.fm/series/precepts-for-life-on-oneplacecom-1541568
- The Gospel Coalition: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/podcasts/