Discover: Start Your Journey
‘Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.’ Psalm 119:105
Do you feel frustrated reading some parts of the Bible? Are there books of the Bible you never read or understood?
Bible study should not be left to chance. Learning howto read the Bible will more fully open its pages of wisdom, hope, and salvation to your life. Discovering the Bible is exciting.
Explore basic questions like:
- What is the Bible?
- How is it organized?
- What are its major events, people, and places?
- What are the Bible’s big ideas?
- What are literary genres and how will they help me understand the Bible?
- What resources are available to help me understand the Bible?
How to start your journey
SOTH provides many opportunities to help you become a better Bible reader. These resources are offered through the church or available online.
Large Group Study
SOTH Bible Study: The goal is to offer once or twice a year a Bible study that explores the basic questions. Any and everyone is welcome to attend! Even the most regular of Bible readers can gain fresh insight from a class like this.
Small Group Study
SOTH Small Group dedicated to the Basic Questions: Once a year we will offer a 6 to 7-week small group study that explores the basic questions.
Continuing Education/Small Groups
Attend continuing education sessions of various topics between worship services on Sundays or other days of the week at various times throughout the years, led by church staff or small group leaders.
CrossTrek: Start Your Bible Journey 6-week small group sessions:
Does your Bible go unread because you don’t know where to start? You are not alone. This group is designed for you. Together we will explore questions like:
- What is the Bible?
- How do I get started?
- What do I do when I get stuck?
Each session will build on the last to make you a more confident Bible reader. Join us for this six-part study! Find materials on SOTH’s website - https://www.shepherd-hills.com/crosstrek-start-your-bible-journey/
- Understanding Your Bible, by John A. Beck
- Know Your Bible, by Paul Kent
- Understand Your Bible, by John A. Beck
- The Bible Project: Visual Storytelling of Bible—How to Read the Bible: https://thebibleproject.com/explore/how-to-read-the-bible/
- Our Daily Bread Christian University—Bible Basics (registration needed): https://christianuniversity.org/courses/bible-basics/
- Precept Ministry—Discover What Scripture Says: https://www.precept.org/discover-scripture-says/
- Bible Gateway: https://www.biblegateway.com/
- Blue Letter Bible: https://www.blueletterbible.org/
- The Text This Week: http://www.textweek.com/scripture.htm
- YouVersion Bible App: https://www.youversion.com/the-bible-app/
- Blue Letter Bible: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blue-letter-bible/id365547505?mt=8